Thursday, September 30, 2010

The next thing.

I got a screaming deal from a friend at work on some engine parts. For a C note I bought an almost new Weiland intake manifold and two Holley Spread bore carbs. I thought it was the deal of the century but Michelle was less than happy. That's a whole different blog.

Any how, now I have to decide how to proceed. I'm sure I'm going to use the manifold, but those carbs I'm not sure about. I had been gung ho to use the Holley with the mechanical secondaries, but since I've been reading about the Q-jet, I've found that nearly everyone says it's a better carb for street application. It's said that it'll flow up to 800cfm. That's way over the Holley's 650cfm. And it's supposed to get better mileage too. Go figure. So now to rebuild a Q-jet. Hmm, not the most attractive prospect. I've been reading and studying it for a few days and I think I have the gist but I've never rebuilt a four barrel. I'd hate to do it and be worse off that I started out.

Additionally, I figure, while I've got the distributor out I may as well convert the points over to electronic ignition. The "while I'm in theres" are the thing that's going to make this project more costly. We'll see what the CFO says.

Here's a pic of the manifold. Incidentally, Olivia took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment