Sunday, February 6, 2011

High Voltage

So Dad gave me a hi output ignition coil when I got the truck. Initially I didn't put it on because it had this weird extension thing on the top that did not match what was in my truck. Any how, I finally got around to installing it. I found that if you put a plier on the top of the coil and pull real hard that modified top comes right off and your Mopar coil turns into a Delco coil. For years and years Grandpa had been trying to get rid of a miss that has plagued the old truck. He had the heads rebuilt several times. He did carb rebuilds, and new points and maybe even a new distributor. He never upgraded the ignition from stock though, and that may have been the problem. As of right now the miss is gone. Not only does the engine run smoother, it accelerates more smoothly and has more power. I'm gonna modify the distributor to get rid of the points in the near future. Once that's done I shouldn't, in theory, ever have to worry about the ignition system again. It's amazing how inefficient these engines were back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment